Thursday, June 2, 2011

Usable parenthesis matching in vim

I'll post my messy hodgepodge vim configuration below but the only part worth highlighting (no pun intended) is the following trick for making vim not do terribly confusing parenthesis matching:

   hi MatchParen cterm=bold ctermbg=none ctermfg=red

Serviceable explanation here. It's pretty self explanatory though: this changes the foreground (and background if you so choose - yellow is serviceable) of the matched parenthesis to something a little more distinctive so you don't lose track of where your cursor is. Default matching always makes me confused whenever I'm navigating around, especially in parenthesis-heavy code. And I guess it's nice that you can just use color names like white or green, even though that bugs me, because I have no idea if it will support, say, fuchsia... or glaucous. (I think it probably just supports basic 256-color palette names, but feel free to comment with a link to the specification or vim source)

And for posterity, my whole vimrc, with some comments mixed in:

More vim tips to come in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment